Canadian Cuttin' Crew?

Who's nervous? Don't be, the terminology is intimidating but the passport for re-entry by LAND does not go into effect until June 1, 2009. Anyone flying to Canada will need a passport. Here's the summary provided by the U.S. consulate of Toronto... -------------------

Under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), for entry into the United States at land or sea borders, as of January 31, 2008: - Oral declarations of citizenship alone will no longer be accepted; - U.S. and Canadian citizens ages 19 and older will need to present a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate or naturalization certificate; - Children ages 18 and under will only be required to present proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate; - Passports and trusted traveler program cards - NEXUS, FAST, and SENTRI - will continue to be accepted for cross-border travel. All existing nonimmigrant visa and passport requirements will remain in effect and will not be altered by this change. A passport has been required for air travel since January 23, 2007. [read more on WHTI] NEW. Entry requirements at land or sea borders in effect June 1, 2009: Washington -- The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the U.S. Department of State (DOS) announced today the final rule for the land and sea portion of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), a core 9/11 Commission recommendation. The WHTI final rule requires travelers to present a passport or other approved secure document denoting citizenship and identity for all land and sea travel into the United States. WHTI establishes document requirements for travelers entering the United States who were previously exempt, including citizens of the U.S., Canada and Bermuda. These document requirements will be effective June 1, 2009 [Press Release] [FAQs] .