Lots of dollar$ to give out to 4 different categories, including the ladies! The schedule includes 5 different races that will allow for both sprinters and the endurance riders to show off. Here are brief explanations of each:
- Match Sprints are 3-lap races involving 2 to 4 riders who begin in a standing start. These head-to-head sprints involve just as much smarts and tactics as they do speed and power.
- A Scratch race is simple even for you hungover folks: be the first to cross the line on the bell lap and you get the dollars.
- And even simpler for you rookies, the Chariot is a one-lap drag race between 4-8 people. First person to cross the line grabs the gold. Just be sure you can stay still for another standing start.
- The Tempo awards points on each lap: 2 points for the first person to cross the line, 1 for second. We’ll do some simple mathematics, and decide who’s accrued the greatest amount of points. Most points is the winner.
- Lace up those boots and get ready for a race as rare as a kangaroo in America itself, the Australian Pursuit! Our exhibition race lines the riders by ability equidistant from each other. The object of this game is to catch the riders ahead, therefore eliminating them from the race. The lone rider is crowned victorious.
Get yourself out to Northbrook for a solid day of bikes–and if you’re up for watching some pros, stick around for Thursday Night Racing, featuring the crowd pleasing Madison! If you’re a real tough guy, grab some grub and stick around and show the new kids what sanctioned racing is all about.
BIKE UP/ CARPOOL: Meet at 10:30 am at Upgrade – 1130 W Chicago. Otherwise, Mr. Yojimbo‘s himself suggests either taking Milwaukee or Elston up to Waukeegan OR North Branch Trail to Willow (you’ll have to pull out the map to figure out the residential street directions). He also mentions that there is a REAL good ice cream shop on Waukeegan a mere 2 miles from the track!
DRIVE: You’re a messenger! Smartphone your way to 1479 Maple Ave, Northbrook, IL
METRA: From Union Station take the Milwaukee-North train towards Fox Lake. Get off at the Northbrook stop. Walk/ride north toward Walters Avenue and turn right. Continue on Walters, then turn right on Orchard and continue til you see that big ol’ velo
See you out there!